We’re not ashamed to admit that our screen time percentages have significantly increased since stay at home orders were put into effect in the beginning of March. As we stay at home to do our part in slowing the spread of Corona virus, social media serves to connect us even more than it did before. Social feeds are filled with snapshots into life under quarantine and remind us that even though we see less people, we are not alone. We’ve seen people turn to puzzle making, binge watching, painting, and most of all, cooking & baking to fill up this new found free time.
It’s not surprising however, that in times of crisis and uncertainty that we turn to making comfort food. It forces us to slow down as we gather ingredients, warm our ovens, make careful measurements, wait for water to boil, and allow for sweet and savory aromas to fill our homes. According to Nielsen data flour sales were up 155% during the four weeks of March, unsurprising, as it seems bread baking is one of the most popular pastimes these days.
Meisterdish is thankful for the grocery store employees who continue to stock the shelves whilst disinfecting and managing the flow of anxious shoppers. We’ve always been about bringing people into the kitchen to discover the joy of cooking at home and now that many people find themselves there, we want to share some of our favorite comfort food recipes with you.
Meisterdish’s Chocolate Chip Cookies:
An all round favorite dessert, our cookie dough is made out of flour, brown & white sugar, salt, butter, milk, vanilla bean, baking soda & chocolate chips.
Yields 36 cookies
2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp Salt
1 cup softened Butter
⅓ cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Milk
2 cups Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine sugars and soften butter until smooth
3. Add milk and vanilla extract
4. Add remaining dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt
5. Portion dough on a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 mins.
Baked Chicken Pesto
Our chicken pesto is baked with green beans, cherry tomatoes and topped with fresh basil and garlic oil to give you a dish that will make you feel happy, healthy and satisfied.
2 5oz. Chicken Breasts
7oz. Green Beans
7oz. Cherry Tomatoes
¼ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
⅓ cup Roasted Red Peppers
⅓ cup Pesto
2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
¼ cup Fresh Basil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Place chicken on oven safe dish, season to taste with ½ tsp of salt & pepper, cover with pesto, top with panko and a drizzle of olive oil
3. Add the green beans, tomatoes and roasted peppers to the dish, drizzle with garlic olive oil on top and season to taste with a pinch of salt & pepper
4. Place in the oven and cook for 15-18 mins or until chicken is cooked through (FDA approved temperature for poultry is 165°F)
5. Chop or tear basil and garnish over the dish together with lemon zest
6. Season with salt & pepper to taste
Cheese & Spinach Ravioli
This delicious Cheese & Spinach Ravioli is made with a garlic, onion, tomato sauce, arugula, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.
2.5 cups Cherry Tomatoes
1 Medium White Onion
¼ Cup Tomato Paste
1 Package of Spinach & Cheese Ravioli
2 Garlic Cloves
⅓ Cup of Fresh Arugula
¼ Cup Parmesan
Half a lemon
Salt & Pepper
Chop cherry tomatoes into quarters and dice garlic and onions.
1. Heat a pan on med-high heat then add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil, garlic and onions,
sear for 1-2 min
2. Add tomato paste, stir and for 1 min
3. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of water, ½ tsp salt and bring to a boil
4. Once boiling, add ravioli and cook for 5-8 min or until al dente.
5. Reduce the sauce until it thickens, adding small amounts of water as required for the
pasta to cook longer
6. Garnish with arugula, parmesan, salt, pepper, splash of lemon and a drizzle of